- Corrosion inhibiting chemicals used and their effectiveness on the metals.
- Ratio of chemicals in the formulation.
- Amount of VCI on the paper or in the film
- pH of the finished product.
- Water solubility and the effectiveness of the corrosion inhibitor in the presence of moisture and/or high humidity.
- Natural neutral kraft paper or polyethylene film used as the carrier for the VCI.
- The overall packaging design and the conditions expected during packing, shipping and storing.
The VCI molecules align on the surface of the metal to a depth of 3 to 5 molecules. This layer of molecules passivates the charged surface and creates a barrier that prevents oxidation. The corrosion cell (the flow of electrons in the metal and the flow of ions in the electrolytic surface layer) is unable to establish itself. Corrosion is halted.
Simply store or ship metal parts in VCI packaging. When the parts are unwrapped, the protective layer immediately begins to dissipate. The metal parts are clean, corrosion-free and ready to use. No washing, dipping or cleaning is necessary.
VCI products provide corrosion protection for industrial part High pack VCI products for corrosion prevention .
The VCI molecules migrate into recesses and hard to reach areas on even the most complex shapes. The molecules build up on the metal surface until a continuous barrier has formed on the metal part.
The chemicals in products are volatile. When metals are wrapped or packaged in VCI, the chemicals volatilize in the packaging environment, forming a protective molecular layer on the surface of the metal. This protective layer serves as a barrier, preventing moisture, salt, dirt, oxygen, and other corrosion causing materials from depositing directly on the metal and causing rust and corrosion.
- Type of metals in need of protection
- Length of protection required
- Domestic or export
- Climate conditions
- Size and weight of product
- Current packaging requirements
- Automatic or manual
- Chemical or oil residue on the metal
- Processing and cleaning methods
- Packing station location relative to other processes
- 1 square foot of paper or film for every 3 square feet of surface area – OR –
- 1 square foot for every 1 cubic foot of packaging volume being protected
- High Pack VCI works well through water and humidity.
- An excellent compliment to R-P oils.
- Printing should face away from the metal